The worst kind of hurt is betrayal because it means your someone was willing to hurt you just to make themselves feel better.
Wednesday, March 13, 2019
Once You Find Hope, Anything Is Possible
So, this will probably be my last post. I don’t say that to garner attention, quite the contrary. But for the few who still pop in to see how things are, I appreciate you and just thought I would let you know.
Anyhow…
Now that I have cleaned the cobwebs out of the drafts folder, it is time to throw some positivity back out into the blogosphere. Who knows—maybe my experience working through my litany of shitty issues will be of some help to someone who stumbles across this space, looking for some sort of life preserver while they float in their ocean of despair…doesn’t everyone look towards adult oriented blogs for just that reason?
No?
Well damn me—but that isn’t going to stop me either.
Not much does…just sayin’
I’ve touched on some of these things before, but I was nowhere near the level of ‘okay with the world’ as I find myself to be in these days. Time really does have an amazing healing effect, if you let it. (oooh—there’s your power peeking thru people…seize it! Run with it!)
It’s not easy, nothing worthwhile (including your sanity) is, and I will try not to spend this post inundating you with trite platitudes and feel-good sayings—but I make no promises either.
First and foremost, and this is as difficult as it is obvious, you absolutely have to commit to making the decision to let it go. (cue the “Frozen” princess singing…if you haven’t seen it, the reference will simply fly on over…if you want to know—well, there’s YouTube…go watch—I’ll wait.) As much as we hope they will, these deep hurts, the heartbreaks, they just don’t vanish on their own. If you don’t make, and keep, this promise to yourself you will self-sabotage all the hard work you will be putting in to moving on from this hurt.
Understand this, if nothing else in this entire post…YOU (yes, you) HAVE THE CHOICE TO LET IT GO. I’ll say it again for those in the back—the choice to let it go, to quit reliving the pain, to rehash the details, the conversations, just…everything…the choice is YOURS and yours alone. Love yourself enough to empower yourself. Let go of the pain to allow yourself a future without it.
To do that, you’re going to have to let it out. Express it, either openly to the person that hurt you, or venting to a supportive friend, writing a letter to the person but never giving it to them—I found physically tearing up the letters to be quite cathartic—or post it on a blog. Just get that shit out of your system and do it all at once. I went the piece-meal route and it took me a LOT longer. Don’t be Jane. Do it all at once and find your understanding of what your pain is about, what it’s so desperately trying to make you see.
And since our world isn’t as cut-and-dried, or simply black and white, we have to also accept some of the responsibility of our pain. While the responsibility may not be wholly your own, you do bear some accountability. Will you let that pain identify you, or are you determined to be the complex & wonderfully made person you knew yourself to be before these circumstances knocked you down a peg or ten? Don’t be a victim—be an active participant in your life. Dive deep and bring him/her back up for a breath of fresh air.
You have to let go of blaming others, and with that, stop playing the victim.
Just. Stop. It.
Now!
I get it—being the victim feels good, justified even. You’re the winner of Team You vs. the World. But, big surprise here for ya, the world?? Yeah, the world doesn’t give a shit folks so get the fuck over yourself already. Yes—you are exceptional and yes (so much yes here) your feelings DO MATTER. Just stop confusing that with your feelings over-riding everything else to the point where nothing beyond them matters. All these experiences, and pains, and joys—they are all a part of the finely woven pattern that is life. It IS complicated. And it IS messy. But it’s also as simple as you let it be.
And just as beautiful.
Remember, if you put too much in your life, and in your head, revolving around this hurt, you don’t leave much room for anything positive to come back into your life. It’s a choice that you are making, to continue to feel the hurt feelings. In every minute you have the choice to either feel bad about someone’s actions and the consequences that hurt you, or you can choose to move forward and start feeling good again. That, my friend, is solely your responsibility. Do not put your happiness in someone else’s pocket. Why would you let the person who hurt you so in the past have so much power over you in the here and now?
Rehashing an entire relationship never fixed it. Never ever in the entire history of the world has this happened. So no more choosing to (yes, be honest, it IS a choice you are making) take part in and allocating so much of your power to someone who has done you wrong. Keep your power and positive energy for yourself and this new future you are going to make for yourself. You absolutely can’t un-do what happened to you…all you can do is, from this moment forward, make this day the best day. And do that every day.
Now here comes the REALLY hard part (as if getting here wasn't dreadful enough 😂)…I struggled with this for so very long—and, 100% honesty here—sometimes I still waver in this area. The struggle is real, but I am 99.9999% there most of the time.
So here goes:
Forgive them — and yourself.
That doesn’t mean forget—that’s not a requirement. Forgiveness isn’t agreeing with what they did that hurt you so. It’s not agreeing with it at all, and forgiving them anyway. It’s not weak to forgive. Its acknowledging you are both good people. They just did something that hurt you profoundly, but the only way to move forward in life and let happiness work its magical way back in to it, is to forgive and fully let go of it. You can empathize with the person, you can try to see their point of view, but at the end of the day…you let go of the hurt, the betrayal, the pain…and in doing so, you will find your forgiveness.
And, if you are anything like me, you may have to do this several times—and it’s never easy…but the willingness to be compassionate with yourself and the other person, see them with fresh eyes, is not a one-time decision. Don’t be stubborn and get stuck in your pain.
I know this stuff is hard and that it’s incredibly difficult to let go of the pain — I’ve been there. Sometimes I still struggle with it, but never for very long…sometimes it feels like a comfortable old friend, that somehow I am justified and to let go of it would be a desecration of what we were, and lessen the relationship that Tripp and I had.
(And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have chosen to maintain this relationship, as his friend. This is what is right for me, and since he hasn’t offered any commentary to the contrary, I will presume it is right for him in the moment as well. Only we can know what is right for us in this moment, and be plucky enough to remember what was. If he decides otherwise, I am perfectly okay with that as well.)
So.
Make your choice.
Let go of the pain.
Do something different today.
Let the happiness back into your life.
P.S. – I am easy enough to contact, there is an email in my profile that I check—maybe not as regularly as I should, but if you need someone to talk to, vent to…who has been there…reach out.
You aren’t alone ♥
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your last post? When I saw that I was immediately sad thought I've been a piss poor friend these past couple of years. But your writing has always spoken to me when I'm not hiding in my own little bubble. I am glad you are moving on and not giving up. There is a difference and I'm glad you found it.
ReplyDeleteI love the line, " Do not put your happiness in someone else’s pocket," it's good advice that we should all take. Thank you for dropping by my little blog, I like having you around.
And, if you ever start writing again, let me know. Maybe you can talk about happy things, like baby ducks and dark chocolate. :-)
It's a two way street my friend, so I could say the same thing. There's a certain safety in our little bubbles. You know I've never been one to give up; I am a fighter, always will be. But even the very best get that knock out punch, and v still we rise.
ReplyDeleteDon't be sad, we can revisit our e-communicationing. My first, and still favorite, interwebs friend 🤣. I think I'll have to pass on baby ducks and dark chocolate though, when there's so much more out in the world... Including Italy. I want to hear ALL about it, from the anticipation to going thru touching back down when you get back home.
I have ALWAYS kept up with your blog...I just rarely comment. Not that what you write didn't/doesn't move me. It's more that I have some seriously busy lazy bones😋 Let's both do better! 💚 you my friend! (That always makes me think "friend-zoned" when I write it...man or woman...🤣🤣)
Congratulations on reaching the end of the journey. I literally just found your blog. Read quickly thru a few posts and liked one of your comments to the effect of writing is part of the healing process.
ReplyDeleteI started my first blog for the same reason, personal healing, about 6 months ago. I forgave Daphne from almost Day 1, but that didn't give me the relief I needed. I now am having difficulty keeping up with the pace that I initially started and may be done with it too. It's a little sad to me, as I haven't even got to the heart of it yet. I don't know if this means that I'm officially over my ex relationship. It doesn't completely feel like it, just that I have different perspectives now.
Anyways, sorry for rambling. Congrats on keeping up with it for so long. If you want to partake in my struggle, my blog/memoir is called 142 Days of Daphne and is at www.onlylovememoir.com
Good luck to you!
Noah
Hi Noah... I'm glad you happened upon my blog.
ReplyDeleteThe whole "Who knows—maybe my experience working through my litany of shitty issues will be of some help to someone who stumbles across this space, looking for some sort of life preserver while they float in their ocean of despair…doesn’t everyone look towards adult oriented blogs for just that reason?" comment was mostly tongue in cheek, and look here... It's actually true!
That's awesome!
While I am where I am in my own journey, I can't say I will ever truly be "over" it. I have moved into a much better headspace and a long fought for acceptance finally settled in for good.
I will ALWAYS love Tripp. That won't change. But "I" have changed and won't sacrifice myself for anyone again.
If you need a proverbial shoulder, you found it. No one understands better than one who has been through it. You aren't alone--
Sadly, I just noticed your response now. I never got a notification. Anyways, thanks for your words.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I stopped writing because I just wasn't "feeling it" anymore. Which is not to say I am over what happened with the relationship. I just was too busy with work and couldn't get myself to write consistently. It was consuming me a little too much. Nonetheless, I am a little disappointed in myself.
Anyways, I hope you are doing well. Since you truly have not written in awhile, I assume you are.
Sometimes staying busy is cathartic, other times it gets in the way of feeling all the things one needs to feel before dusting off and getting in with life. That you recognize that it was consuming you is a good step forward... It does show you are making progress and can be somewhat objective with yourself. But it's also okay to not be over things, but don't let that stop you from exploring new things and finding joy again. I am doing well, thank you. The journey, as always, prevails 🤗
Delete