Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Sound of Silence (or People Unable to Love Each Other)

Garfunkel once summed up the song's meaning as "the inability of people to communicate with each other, not particularly internationally but especially emotionally, so what you see around you are people unable to love each other."

Not connecting emotionally so people are unable to love...so obvious. Duh.


Maybe that's why this rendition by Disturbed resonated so thoroughly with me...everyone has their interpretation; but I never saw this as a push to keep the arts in schools lest they fade to nothing (I fully support the arts in schools--its fundamental to our kids being healthy well-rounded adults...just sayin').  That wasn't even an issue back when this track originally debuted (is that spelled correctly?--it looks weird to me...oh well...) or at least not an issue I was aware of since I wasn't even a twinkle then or barely a twinkle depending on what date you use.  I suppose it is possible that the stemmed from the assassination of JFK, as some have said, but again...that doesn't make as much sense to me as does Garfunkel's summation.

But that's me.

Growing up, of course I knew the song but it was just some old song my parents would play.  Ugh--Simon and Garfunkel, Mom...really?!?! *groan* And I would be off to listen to my generation's music.  Then, as now, I always liked all kinds of music.  Just not what I saw as my 'parent's music'.  That was probably the extent of my rebellion back then--to be everything my parent's were not.  Mild.  Although, in comparison to my siblings I was a wild child.  Little did they know I saved my real rebellious nature until I was married.  Maybe saved is the wrong term--more like it reared its ugly head as I matured and refused to be pigeon-holed into someone's antiquated idea of what a wife and homemaker was supposed to be. (God I almost sound like a bra-burning feminazi...I'm truly not! LOL!)

Leave It to Beaver has left the building folks.  I did try though.  I tried to be everything I wasn't.  And I succeeded for awhile.  Kept a nice home, raised 3 great kids, was football and cheerleading mom, was a fun hostess...even managed to raise some well-behaved canines in the process.  

And every single day I died a little inside.

Until I decided I wasn't going to any more.  But that's another story for a different day--besides, the blog tells enough of that story to where one can connect the dots in some way.

Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment